Abuse & Immigration

Violence Against Women's Act, also known as "VAWA," protects abused family members so they can obtain lawful immigration without having to depend upon their abusive family members.

VAWA protection is equally available to both men and women!

Spouse or partner, children, and parents who suffer extreme hardship due to physical, emotional, or economic abuse at home at the hands of the abusive U.S. citizen or a permanent resident family member qualify for lawful immigration status as victims of abuse.

Children as abuse victims

The federal government treats children of abuse as deserving protection. In addition to VAWA protection, minor children who suffered abuse, neglect, or abandonment can seek Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS or SIJ) upon entering the United States.

Immigration benefits include status as a lawful permanent residence and eligibility to seek work authorization when the green card application is processing.
SIJS-approved juveniles in removal proceedings can seek protection from removal at prosecutorial discretion.

SIJS minors can obtain employment authorization as an added relief.

Juveniles who received SIJ classification, USCIS states, may be granted deferred action for four years, making them eligible to apply for EAD.

Take Action...

Many abuse victims do not come out to seek immigration protection afforded them by law and suffer in silence!

They are too afraid to seek protection and remain unaware of the rights and protections available to them.

Fear and ignorance make the victim stick to the abuser and endure in silence. Too many instances of abuse are not reported to the police.

Regardless, it is possible to seek VAWA based green card and employment authorization based on abuse.

Frequently, abusive conduct surfaces at the time of filing the immigration paperwork and peaks when the interview is scheduled, probably because the abuser feels the loss of control over the victim once the permanent resident status is granted.

This is exactly why Immigration Law provides for the protection of victims of abuse.

Questions? Call the attorney at (317) 660-6174 anytime!

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top